> > There are two kinds of people in the world: those who make regular
 > > backups, and those who have not *YET* had a hard drive fail on
them...

There are also those who think they're making backups, but aren't doing
it properly.

Not much point making copies of your pictures and MP3s if you can't
restore the operating system because the restore information was in a
hidden partition on the hard drive that just failed.

Windows doesn't make it easy to backup hidden partitions.

And as I found out the long way just this week - at least one laptop
manufacturer provides a COA sticker which doesn't actually have a valid
license key for the OS on it, although it looks like one.
You can't just use any old OS disk and rely on getting the correct key
from the sticker, which is what I've done several times over the years.

It cost £30 to get a proper recovery CD from the manufacturer, which
contains the correct key and a pre-activated version of Windows.
This also means that once you've bought the recovery CD you can't re-use
it for another laptop either.

--
Tony Vincent