cheers Jim

ive checked that wire (not green though on account of the wiring being
a bit of a mess) and it does indeed go to the pos on the coil, so
that's one wire sorted for the CVH 3 pin wiring, ill just wire in the
neg and earth separate and bypass the resistor

while on the subject of electrics ive one more query

when I was stripping the engine bay down to prepare for engine removal
I came across 2 relays and a sort of scary looking plastic bit with
diodes or something lurking out from one of them

unfortunately I cant find a reference in the Haynes manual for a
"badly bodged pair of relays with spade connectors instead of a proper
relay mount" section,
they were just loose dangling rather close to the alternator drive
belt (nice) so my next questions are

what are they?
do I need them now ive swapped to CVH?

first picture is the 2 relays together and they were bundled together
with a bit of tape, weather that meant they work together or not im
not too sure

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC00167.jpg

the next pictures are of the scary wiry bit attached to one of the
relays

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC00168.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC00169.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC00170-1.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC00171.jpg

other than the horn I have no other relays under the bonnet and if I
need them id like to tidy them up, replacing them with new ones fitted
to proper relay holders wont be too much of an issue (as I did with
the horn) but im puzzled by the wires and diodes / resistors or
whatever they are ?

thank you all very much in advance

the help is priceless and very much appreciated

regards
j king