If one of the shells got a new owner, who then applied for a V5, I
would imagine that he would get it. (Maybe after a Vehicle Identity
Check). As the vehicle wouldn't have been recorded as scrapped or
exported (as that would have invalidated the original V5).

Which would make life a bit difficult for the "owner" of the original
v5, who, I'm sure, would make some new friends in blue uniforms when
he tried to use it to register another car....!

The first thing he would have to prove is that the second car wasn't
stolen, as the boys in blue know all about "Ringing". They can, and
do, reconcile casting numbers on the major assemblies with production
records and registrations of donor cars.

I would have thought that, by trying to pass one car off as another,
he would have committed some sort of criminal offence, even if it
wasn't stolen, but I'm no lawyer.

I won't assume a moral position, but, on a practical level, I would
have thought that most people could live without that sort of hassle,
for the sake of a few hundred quid's worth of ageing kit car?

Dave