Thanks Russell and Jim

My gearbox might be a tad high, I couldn't remember whether there was
a spacer behind the cradle or not.
Might be worth trying one anyway.

The chassis rail down the driver's side did indeed have foam in it.
That's all been ground away now, and fibreglassed over.

Converting to V pulley is an option I'd thought about, it would
probably release half-an-inch or so and leave me just enough width.
I'm not sure whether a CVH pulley would fit directly, I suspect the
crank and oil seal are larger diameter.
I could always fire up the lathe and weld something together out of
the two though.
And I might even have a Sierra CVH pulley lying around (kept for
megajolt due to its toothed wheel).

I think Ford have used the same basic block for most of their diesels,
there's a good chance another oil filter system might fit.
I don't know why this one is so big, the CVH one from the RST also
incorporates and oil-water cooler and is much shorter.
(That's another option, but I'd prefer to leave that engine complete,
ready for sale).
It's not the biggest worry, I'm sure alternatives are available for
this.

I think I've got the filter mounting from a V6 kicking around the
garage somewhere - if that will bolt to the block, and has the water
cooler in it, job sorted.

The inlet manifold is a pain - I've only just bought this one.
Took me 3 days of ploughing through scrapyards to find it, too!
The original was leaking a bit of black oil from the EGR valve -
apparently a common feature, and it's not possible to buy the valve
separately.
But I'm not sure whether the older engine has such a valve, and when I
asked the question previously I was advised not to do away with the
valve because it might upset the emissions or ECU.  Running on 40%
exhaust has to be good for MPG too.
I'll probably try to modify this one first, can always move to the
older type if I wreck it.

TonyV.