Quick (ish) update

i set about moving the vertical guide back in line and re drilling the
hole for the 4mm csk screw

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01900.jpg

result?
ok but the glass still did not reach full height because it hit the
back of the m4 nut before it could reach a stop, so now i had an extra
hole in the hockey stick but still glass that did not line up ....
and this was without modifying the hockey stick to allow the glass to
protrude through by 1-2mm for the most up to date fitting arrangement,
this would be impossible since the plate that the bolt goes though was
well and truly in the way.....
so i had a brain wave, if the original mounting for the M4 csk screw
is too far forwards

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01902.jpg

then i need to move it back, so i spot welded on a strip of 10mm x 2mm
steel strip to the other side of the vertical support with the
intention of using the original M4 csk screw hole which was now
further forward and out the way on account of moving the upright back
by about 10mm (hope your keeping up?)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01904.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01903.jpg

then marked through and bent the strip and drilled and tapped it to M4
to keep the whole fixing as small as possible and well and truly out
the way from the door glass

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01905.jpg

so now the screw is back in its original hole and I've got an extra
hole where i don't want it, but at least the glass goes up fully to
where it needs to on the front edge since moving the top mounting
point of the upright guide has tilted the glass back to the correct
angle

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01906.jpg

only other issue, while trying to make both doors symmetrical i found
the bottom hole for the upright (with the 150mm threaded rod M8) was
way out of line with the passenger side, the passenger side glass
moves freely whereas the drivers side has always struggled so I'm
basing my dimensions on the passenger side and the build manual, i
found them to be about 20-30mm out both up side to side, so i had to
re-drill the hole and refit the threaded rod, but it wouldn't fit
since it hit the electric window cable, so the mounting of the motor
was measured and found to be waaay out so that also needed moving

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01899.jpg

to allow the vertical guide fixing to be put in place, all this has
taken 2 weeks and I've still not fitted the hood

ive also been able / forced to upgrade the original M4 csk screw with
an M5 because the original one was countersunk too far down leaving
little fiberglass left to take the load (I did fill behind with filler
and stainless as you mention Jim),
 mind you this works well and will hold slightly better on account of
the fact that the head is fractionally bigger, i also took the
opportunity to drill and tap the spot welded metal tag to M4 slightly
further down to help support the upright and prevent twist to hold it
further still.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01918.jpg
just got to fill the other hole now, though if im lucky the glass
should pop through here in time with the mod?
ive also braced the lower fixing threaded stud, i didn't like the way
the M8 stud flapped about in the hole on the pop riveted plate at the
base of the vertical guide whose hole was around 9.6mm, bit too slack
for my liking and i was aware that there was some flex in the fixing
long before i started this, so i upgraded to M10 stud by drilling the
lower bracket to a snug fit and re-drilling the door inner panel to
suit, this left a few horrid looking holes and the door panel also
being slightly warped / not perfectly flat with load on it so i made a
brace behind out of 10mm x 50mm alloy plate bolted behind like so

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/DSC01914.jpg

this straightens the inner panel out no problem and prevents any twist
of the M10 stud to always ensure the guide sits correct, today i have
to adjust the rear fixing .....