Possible use of wrong brake fluid, recently or at some point in the
past?

For example, even a trace of Citroen brake fluid in the system could
cause eventual MC seal failure.

We found this out the hard way, after we had to change the master
cylinder in Louise's old AX several times in a couple of weeks.
Turns out the Citroen AX doesn't use Citroen brake fluid.
We'd bought a bottle of fluid at the same time as the new Master
Cylinder, and recommended by the motor factors.
The can of brake fluid just said "suitable for most Citroens" - no
actual application list, so we'd taken his word (and catalogue lookup)
that it was the right one.

TonyV.