Hi Luke,

Lots of good responses already, but here is my experience anyway...

Trailered to first IVA, Failed !  ( 1 year ago )

FJ at that time allowed 4 weeks on a VIN, this expired, and the length
was reduced to 2 weeks. I then drove to my local garage with no plates
etc, but paperwork AND an appointment (must be pre booked). 2 weeks
expired, spoke too FJ, who were not flexible. so I basically restarted
the insurance for 2 weeks a day before the next IVA test, which I
drove too. - No issues with the authorities.  Did feel a bit odd on
the M1 with no plates etc....
(I think I paid FJ a £15 fee each time the ins was restarted)

Also I had no screen, so borrowed a motorcycle helmet and had
waterproof clothes and a towel !!!!  Bit of rain, but all ok..once in
the IVA shed !

The issue for me was trailering to the DVLA after passing, as you
cannot drive it once home after a pass. This cost me (borrowed car
with towbar), £50 for 1/2 day trailer rental..  Last year they were
not happy with the VOSA info, but 'some' DVLA branches have
historically come out to you.

Reality is it is a pain in the proverbial....