Well done - just the sort of challenge kit car builders can overcome.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Keith Joseph
  To: quantumowners@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:19 PM
  Subject: [Quantum Owners] 2+2 Engines - Update (If anyone's interested!)

  Following on from my previous message regarding the snapped thermostat
housing stud and broken stud extractor, I thought I might as well have a go at
drilling it and the snapped stud out of the head.

  After a couple of snapped drill bits, lots of swearing and a load of
aluminium shrapnel, the offending articles were successfully extracted from the
head. This did leave a hole though which was considerably bigger than the
original bolt hole which presented my next problem.

  By now, I'd gone past the point of no return, so I decided to use a tap in
the hole to create a decent thread. The next problem I faced was the fact that
the bolt which was going to fit this hole was too big to go through the holes
in the thermostat housing. Even if I made the holes bigger in the housing,
there still wouldn't have been enough room to do up a bolt as the head of the
bolt would have clashed with the side of the thermostat housing.

  I then had a brain wave!

  If I could manufacture a stud which was two different diameters, I could
thread each end with different size die's - One which would fit into the head,
the other which would fit through the holes in the housing and leave enough
room to get a nut on to secure the housing in place.

  I've attached pictures of the stages I went through to create the studs.

  Once I'd finished them, I cut a small slice in the narrow end of the stud,
just to allow the head of a flat screw driver to fit in so as to help tighten
the studs into the head (I left the die on the thread so that after cutting the
slots I could clean up the threads so that the nuts would fit back on cleanly).

  I made two of these studs as I had to drill two of the three holes in the
head - the original aluminium threads just seam to disintegrate. I'm very
pleased to say that the studs fitted snugly into the head and that the
thermostat housing has been re-attached, the system filled with water and
pressurised and no leaks so far. Very re-leaved!

  Cheers to everyone who has offered advice and help,

  Keith