Jin

Can you recommend a supplier for the "thick anti fatigue floor matting" you used?

AJ

-----Original Message----- From: jin
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:40 PM
To: Quantum Owners Group
Subject: [Quantum Owners] new carpet

I finally gave in and decided to carpet my 2+2 after 3 years had
passed from when I ripped all the old out, my reluctance to re-carpet
it was borne out of the mess left behind from the old carpet, it was
glued in everywhere with bucket loads of evo stick and the whole of
the underlay (what the hell was that stuff anyway? Sort of dried grass
cuttings and donkey fur?) had gone mouldy as hell, not surprising as
the car leaked like a sieve so for the last 3 years ive run about with
just rubber mats in the foot wells

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20121029_073849.jpg

It still leaks but nowhere near as bad, so I took the plunge and got
the 2 rolls of new carpet down from the loft I bought at stonleigh
2010 and got to work
From the outset I didn’t want to go down the route of plastering
traditional sound deadening everywhere for it to just soak up moisture
like a sponge, in fact my aim was to limit the use of carpet full stop
in favour of  non absorbent materials where possible yet still retain
some ergonomics
To start I bought some 50mmx50mm flight case edging to cap the top of
the inner sills, I didn’t want to carpet this area to enable me to
still have access to the loom and I didn’t fancy having to try and
conceal thick wiring looms under the carpet as well as negotiating
carpeting the top face of the inner sill while still making the job
look neat

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20121029_071808.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20121026_190229.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20121029_073900.jpg

The angle edging, is fixed to and raised up from the sills creating a
gap for the wiring by lego, may seem odd but 3 flat bricks high and
bonded to the sill and trim in turn they fit tight and secure yet can
be removed if needed
Then onto the carpet, once a template was made for each sill they were
bonded on with an unbroken bead of sikaflax across the very top edge,
reason being if any water enters in or around the doors it wont get
trapped between the carpet and sill,

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130512_234740_zps781980bf.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130513_182009_zpsa6df86b9.jpg

and since the carpet im using is the synthetic pile on plastic backing
type its not only water proof but non organic so wont go mouldy

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130526_140519_zps3292db6a.jpg

The centre console front section was tackled next this section was
held in place with stratigicly placed Velcro strips, so the carpet is
secure but removable should I need to get to the wiring loom in the
future

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130523_195803_zps23ea69d0.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130523_231308_zpseac4ee4e.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130523_231320_zps48be9d19.jpg

And the bulkhead section was  cut-out and ready, again held with
Velcro

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130526_140507_zps7e391222.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130524_225847_zps173d186f.jpg

The floor bases were covered in thick anti fatigue floor matting, this
is used to relieve joint stress for people who stand for a long time,
such as warehouses, its very lightweight, water proof, chemical proof
and soft, like memory foam, cut to about 5mm too wide all round each
piece slots into place snugly forming a watertight seal round the
edges as it expands, so if any water gets in it sits on the top and
gets mopped up, if its bad the mats can be removed and wiped
underneath, because of the thick closed cell foam construction, they
absorb road noise very well

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130524_224249_zps9c3f74e0.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130525_110338_zps8afaaa1e.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130525_110401_zpsdc627f13.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130525_110452_zps63f8fbeb.jpg

The rear section of the centre console was held with strong double
sided tape, wants to be strong too at £1 per 100mm

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130527_175756_zpsc52ab62c.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130528_125604_zps4d3e9dd1.jpg

The seat side base was done in the same way as the sills, one small
bead of sikaflex where the strip meats the seat base, leaving the
space underneath empty, so any moisture leaking past can drain down
the slope to the rear foot wells to be mopped up instead of sitting
under the carpet,

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130528_125643_zps4793790c.jpg

Although I’ve spent a lot of time describing leaks I would just like
to assure everyone that it really doesn’t leak much at all since I’ve
rebuilt it, the worse that happened recently was water running off the
roof as I opened the door in the rain, prior to that the car was bone
dry in a very heavy shower, and as for sound deadening, I’ve been
driving this for 3 years now with no floor covering at all and I’ve
survived, its not too bad (till 4k on a run) so this will be positive
luxury for me

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/jindal/2012%20quantum/IMG_20130528_125747_zps21c1ef53.jpg

Just got the rear bench to do and trim the door cards, oh and swap the
seats

Bye for now

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s). --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to quantumowners+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.