Derek

At 1.4k your heater is effectively open-circuit. The resistance should be
around one thousandth of that. Did you measure at the heater termination
tabs or at the spade connectors which slide onto the tabs? If the latter
perhaps one or both is insulated from the tab by corrosion. If you measured
at the tabs then either there is a break at one of the tabs or all of the
elements are worn / corroded / broken. Unfortunately the latter is quite
common. If the former you might be able to locate the break and bridge it
with solder but you risk the heat shattering the glass. In my experience
none of the paint-on silver-bearing remedies work. By the way, a new screen
isn't all that expensive and the transformation is worth it. The unheated
area at the bottom of the screen needs ventilation though. I am considering
cutting slots along the rear of the parcel shelf on mine and putting a
discreetly positioned air exit somewhere in the boot-lid. It needs to be an
exit because lack of an exit into low-pressure air is one cause of the
windows in a Q steaming up. Try this - put the heater on full blast demist
and put your finger in the (feeble) air stream from one of the outer
windscreen demist vents. Then open one of the windows a crack and you'll be
surprised how much stronger the flow of air from the demister becomes...

HTH

Bill