Hi Philip,
Did you get my pm, or maybe it's gone to junk?
Martin Scott
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: holden.phil...@sky.com
  To: quantumowners@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:34 AM
  Subject: Re: [Quantum Owners] Gear Change

  Gents,

  Firstly, thank you for all your responses/information and advice.

  Initially I decided to go with the 'easy' fix first as per Jims e-mail.

  Before my long suffering assistant, a.k.a. the wife, arrived in the garage I
tried to lift the clutch pedal but it wouldn't move above its rest position.
However under the bonnet I could freely pull the cable inner out for a good few
inches.

  With my assistant in place we then tried various methods of pressing/lifting
the pedal and pulling the cable but none of them resulted in a clicking noise
with the pawl re-setting when the pedal was pressed.

  In view of this I decided to assume that the problem lay with the
cable/pawl/pedal and that the cable needed to be shortened in some way.

  For all those with a sensitive/engineering background please skip the next
paragraph.

  With the cable free I slipped a washer over the cable nipple and then found a
short length (1.25 inches) of narrow bore hose. I split this down its length
and was then able to push that over the cable between the nipple and the
washer. This was then fastened in place with jubilee clips. Theoretically the
nipple wouldn't pull through the hose and the washer would stop the hose going
through the hole in the lever. A quick press of the clutch pedal revealed that
it worked.

  I then started the engine and the gear change was fine and it was still fine
after letting the engine warm through.

  Arming myself with my AA card and a mobile phone I took to the open road and
after a journey of 30-35 miles the gear change was still fine. It may have been
imagination and it may have got a bit notchy towards the end. It may be that a
much longer run reveals that it is notchy and I may need a longer bit of hose
to shorten the cable a bit more. In the meantime I am going to enjoy the car in
our unexpectedly good weather 'up north'.

  I do have plans to remove the dash and re-spray it once the nights start
drawing in so when I have it all apart I will investigate the segment/pawl
issue further at that time - unless it stops working in the meantime.

  I do recall that when I was building the car Quantum did send me an
alternative segment which overcame the problem of there not being enough
movement in the pedal but I haven't been able to find the paperwork on that
yet.

  Once again thanks for all your assistance.

  Regards

  Phil