Thank you everyone for your input, very helpful indeed. I like these
wheels, I can't imagine the car wearing anything else!  I measured the
width of the rim as 6" when I balanced them so most likely they are a 6J.
I am changing the front brake calipers, when they arrive that is, and will
check the inside of the rims for any other markings and numbers.  That will
be a major cleaning job!

Regarding new wheels, I had specified the make, model and year of the car
and been told that the correct offset would be applied at the time of
ordering. I wasn't sure then about the J part of it but with your help,
that is much clearer.  Whatever I do, I must make sure they have four holes
and not five to mount the wheels on the hubs. This is a whole world I never
knew existed!

Regarding plastic rings to centre the wheels Hans, mine do not have them at
all.  The wheels are a nice snug fit when pressed to the hub and hold well
as the bolts are put in place.  After I balanced the wheels, the wobble at
around 60mph had gone.  A very useful tip nonetheless and one I will bear
in mind if I do change the wheels completely, the companies I looked at all
mentioned rings and I wondered what they were for.

I would be interested to find out more Robmirach.  Apart from the
non-matching and missing centre covers, I do not have a good spare either!
The boot contains an original XR2 pepperpot wheel with a tyre size that
does not match the rest.  There is also a honking great nail through the
tread that I hadn't notice in the last 15 years.  If anyone wants the
wheel, you are welcome - nail included!

Thanks again.
Martin