Unfortunately rusty sills on the saloon and 2+2 is a lot down to luck, how well
the fibreglassing went when these areas were being done at the factory.
On both cars the sill to A pillar area is very complicated to completely seal
against water coming in around the door hinge openings.
On the saloon the water is supposed to drain out via a hole in the bottom of
the A pillar but it must have been almost impossible to completely seal off the
end of the steel sill.

On the 2+2 the water is supposed to drain out via a hole in the bottom of the
door opening but that is about 2” above the top of the sill member and and
while it is a slightly easier area to seal it does sit there with the 2” of
water in it which will find any gap there is down past the sill, or quite
commonly, into the car.

On my saloon i used a large drill bit to drill directly up from the hole in the
bottom of the sill until i could pass a brass tube up into the bottom of the A
pillar area, this path is almost open, the drill just took out some small bits
of fibreglass.
It comes up the outer side of the sill tube.
Then I bonded the bottom of the brass tube into the sill with Polyurethane
adhesive and sealed around the top as best i could.
I then put in several very thick coats of rubber roofing compound all over the
bottom of the A pillar area to fill in any remaining small gaps.
So now there should be no way the water can get down into the sill.

On the 2+2 i pulled off the side of the A pillar “pocket area” (it’s a bonded
on fibreglass panel on the 2+2), filled the pocket area with expanding foam to
just below the level of the drain hole into the door pillar.
Cut the foam to shape with a kitchen knife.
Then covered that on the top and side with fibreglass matting.
Then rebonded the side panel with Polyurethane sealant.

On Matthews 2+2 i did it a different way, we had a big tin of left over
polyurethane resin at work, we jacked the car up at the back so there was slope
towards the drain hole in the door pillar.
Then just filled the pocket area up to the drain hole level with the resin.
Probably added a Kg or 2 in weight but that wasn’t a problem with Matthews car !

Just think yourself lucky you’ve not got a H4, i really don’t know who thought
fibreglassing the chassis though the body was a good idea.
Maybe if it was galvanised, it might have worked but not with painted steel.

Jim