Thanks for confirming my theory, I've thought about a Ferrari style gate
plate, but the gearstick is quite thick & the "slots" would actually
overlap at the height of the centre console. I could 3D print a box to
raise the plate, but it's all getting a bit messy. I'll see what I can find
on Ebay ........