Hello,

Linear factor is used as a heuristic - if you have 2 VMs - one using
> 500MB and another using 2500MB, there is much bigger chance that the
> later one may request more memory (because you're probably running
> Firefox/Chrome there ;) ).

Sounds mostly reasonable, maybe it could require something like req +
max(50, min(400, 0.3*req)) MiB instead of 1.3*req. (Constants are just
roughly considered.)

> I would say it is highly non-trivial. Especially the part "pause all
> processes" (but still be able to communicate with dom0), then "continue"
> and not introduce any deadlock or other problem.

I agree.

AFAIK even if vm.swappiness=0, if something is swapped out, it will
> not be moved back to RAM unless needed

I believe so. It corresponds to my observations, at least. It also makes
sense most of the time.

(and then it may force something else to be swapped out). So I think this
> problem still applies to some degree.

Why it would do so? If there is some extra memory and vm.swappiness==0, I
can't see a scenario for that (except those unrelated to swap).

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'