Jean, this is mostly what I wanted to suggest. I'll add few ideas.

1. Only the current VM could make sond output. While this essentially prevents
using a background music, I don't think that people that need screenreaders can
have background music at all. Well, maybe one could allow some VMs to produce
some sound all the time (similar to fullscreen in today's Qubes), maybe with
some volume restriction. But this is rather an egde case.
2. There should be some exception for notifications. That is, dom0 would be
able to play some predefined sound(s) that inform the user that there is
something new. Ideally, this would be a part of centralized notification
system. Less ideally, this could be some extension of notification systems
present in specific domUs. Discussed at
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/889 .
3. There should be focus stealing prevention. Less ideally, at least some
focus-stealing notification would also help. Focus-stealing is poartially
discussed in seemingly unrelated issue
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1455 .

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'