Marco Giglio wrote:
> it seems that there are 2 possible short-term mitigations against
> Meltdown for QubesOS 3.2 users.
> -  Move PV VMs to HVM.
> [...]
> Qubes 4 users shouldn't be affected by SP3/Meltdown

It is really fortunate that Qubes OS 4.0 has moved to HVM-only domains.
I think an attacker is prevented from breaking out of a compromised
guest, into the host or other guests.  It's exactly the worst-case
scenario that Qubes OS was engineered to mitigate.

But still, on vulnerable Intel hardware, when running an HVM guest OS
without the KPTI patches, malware running as a non-privileged user could
steal sensitive data from the kernel of that guest, or elevate
privileges.  That requires HVM *and* updating the guest kernels (with
KPTI) in order to fix it, I think.

(I don't think replacing 64-bit PV guests with 32-bit is a good idea,
because KPTI is not implemented at all for Xen PV, or for any 32-bit
architectures yet.)

> but should be affected from SP1/SP2/Spectre.

These vulnerabilities might be exploited by JavaScript to break out of
the sandbox, for example.  And then there is a potential to attack the
hypervisor or other guests by poisoning the branch prediction logic and
doing cache timing attacks.  I don't think HVM helps here.

I notice that OpenSUSE is shipping CPU microcode for Intel and AMD,
disabling branch prediction completely.  That sounds a bit extreme but
may be the only way to be safe against future exploits.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
ste...@pyro.eu.org