On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 7:47:22 PM UTC-4, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>

> On 18 March 2018 at 23:12, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
>
> To be honest, I don't think we need more proofs of freshness there. We
>
> already have various news headlines (chosen from different countries),
>
> bitcoin blockchain and now NIST Randomness Beacon. What we might need,
>
> is timestamps - proof that canaries (or other files there) were
>
> created at the time included there, not later.
>

> What about including the hashes of all older canaries in the new one?  That
> way, anyone trying to counterfeit an old canary would have to somehow hide
> all of the newer (real) canaries from the victim.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew

I see your point there, Marek. I'm fine if you guys think we don't need another
source for the proofs of freshness (we already have plenty). But, I do like the
idea of adding the hash of the previous canary (sort of like blockchain) to
make it impossible to counterfeit previous canaries. It still doesn't solve the
problem of backdating the latest canary, but sounds like a good security
feature. It'll allow us to not have to rely on a single cryptocurrency to
prevent counterfeiting  (what if in a few years Bitcoin is much weaker or a
massive vulnerability is discovered).

The primary reason why the warrant canaries exist is to hint at a possibility
that a warrant or court order was served to the dev team without breaking any
laws. But, let's suppose that eventually a court rules it legal to compel the
dev team to counterfeit a canary. The modification of previous canaries
shouldn't be of much use to law enforcement, but the creation of fake current
canaries is vital for a secret warrant to be carried out. That is why I think
that by timestamping canaries, it allows the Qubes dev team to find ways to
delay/legally challenge the order long enough that the canary deadline passes.
Then, they can cave into the government's demands, thus informing the users and
also complying with the government at the same time. This will help a lot if
the dev team loses the court case.