On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 11:15:55 PM UTC-4, Outback Dingo wrote:
> any suggestions, nothing is swapping, memory seems ok, ive even
> allocated 8192 mb to 2 vms which i see it in, both fedora and debian,
> and i am up to date update wise.

I wonder if this is a skylake microcode problem or an nvidia problem. First
off, ensure you have the most recent firmware (BIOS, etc.) on your motherboard.
This can help if it is a microcode issue.

Also, have you updated both your dom0 and all of your templates and standalone
VMs? I would think that all recent security-related microcode updates, even if
your vendor hasn't provided it, have been migrated to the qubes 4.0 dom0
repository, but if there are any lingering in security-testing still, you might
want to try from dom0:
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-security-testing

On a lark, as it's been discussed before, can you try disabling hyper-threading
in your BIOS setting and see if that makes a difference? Note that this points
to older skylake steppings/microcode stability issues, not performance issues,
so probably not your problem:

And the MS/.NET folks came across something performance-related that is a
fun/frustrating read. The short version is that the Intel CPU Pause instruction
was upgraded to wait ~140 cycles instead of ~10 cycles which was the norm
pre-Skylake, and this was done primarily for optimizing hyper-threading and
cache hits. No solution other than making sure compiler and (threading) library
developers are aware of the change and engineer their code accordingly:
https://aloiskraus.wordpress.com/2018/06/16/why-skylakex-cpus-are-sometimes-50-slower-how-intel-has-broken-existing-code/

Brendan