On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 2:20:04 AM UTC+1, js...@bitmessage.ch wrote:
<snip>

> Also maybe qubes-users list would be a better place to discuss this? Gpu
> passthrough is a pretty low priority for the qubes devs for obvious reasons.
>
> --
> Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for the nice reply.

I will check out the qubes-users list.

I've been following qubes for a long time, since the beginning I believe.
Qubes is my dream after all.  I've heard all of the security arguments over the
years and you are correct there is always a trade off between usability and
security.  It ranges from almost no security (M$) to burying the computer in
the ground.  :)

I would respectfully suggest the developers consider supporting
PCI-passthrough.  It isn't just GPUs that are useful for PCI-passthrough,
passing the SATA and USB controllers can also be very useful.  Passing the PCI
device can eliminate much of the OS overhead.  When enabling or using this
feature a warning could be issued to the qubes admin of the security risk.  I
assume the developers and team want people using their work.  By including this
as a feature qubes will be used on more systems.  The more systems qubes runs
on the more support qubes will receive from the community.  I see this as a win
win for qubes and the community.

In the past I had not the time however If the team is interested I am willing
to offer my support for PCI-passthrough.  I could help filter PCI-passthrough
support between users and developers or even other ways.

Based on the last two replies I will likely try qubes with PCI-passthrough.
However I am leery of future operability since this isn't currently supported
or encouraged.  So I am having trouble making a leap in this direction.

John