On 12/10/2018 04:10 AM, Doesnt Work wrote:
I've recently bought a new laptop and 2 16GB-DDR4-RAMs.
Now, whenever I put in one (or both) of those, they heat up, every VM
utilizes the maximum RAM it's allowed and in suspend the RAM is still
heating up (and draining battery).
The past couple days I've been extensively testing this issue. The RAM
work in other machines. The original RAM that came with the laptop works
fine (sane allocation, no heating while suspended), but it's only 8GB.
(The customer support was unhelpful and always blamed the other components.)

Before taking desperate measures and installing a new operating system,
I wanted to ask weather qubes could at all be at fault? The issue with
allocating a VM's maximum memory all the time makes it look like that.
Furthermore, any ideas how I could verify if s3 suspend is actually reached?

This should probably go in qubes-users...

I don't think its Qubes related. But you can run 'xentop' in dom0 to see overall activity. A software issue causing hot RAM would show up as high CPU load.

More likely there is an incompatibility between the new DIMMs and your BIOS or memory controller where refresh rates and other timings are incorrectly set. Check the mfg specs carefully to make sure it supports your model of laptop; if it does, then check to see if your BIOS has an update available.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket