On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 2:30:12 PM UTC-5, Chris Laprise wrote:
> > Also note that we'd like to have at least some level of hiding metadata
> > - - like VM names (leaked through file names).
>
> I have an idea for a relatively simple obfuscation layer that could even
> re-order the transmission of chunks in addition to concealing filenames.
> It would use an additional index with randomized names and the order
> shuffled. Implementing this, I surmise, could improve robustness of the
> encryption.
> Yes, keeping in mind the chunk size I'm using currently is 128kB with
> fixed boundaries. I've experimented with simple retroactive dedup based
> on sorting the manifest hashes and that can save a little space with
> almost no time/power cost. This could be done at send time to save
> bandwidth, but that savings may not be worth it. OTOH, if we expect some
> users to backup related cloned VMs (common with templates) the potential
> savings then becomes very significant even with this simple method.

I tend to keep one or two clones of each template some number of weeks of
updates behind, just in case an update (especially a *-testing update) goes
awry. I think this approach is useful for most folks who are trying to balance
"more secure by updating regularly" and "able to manually recover when a
template stops working". So: a backup regime that can dedupe on some level
would be very welcome.

Q: Speaking of hashes (this is regardless of the encryption question): are the
hashes in sparsebak salted per qubes system (or backup set?)...or would the
same hash on two different (non-cloned) Qubes systems match for the same
content?

And Chris: thanks for all your contributions to Qubes usability, I really
appreciate it.

Brendan