On 20190114 at 22:28 -0600 Andrew David Wong wrote:

We're getting to a point that is bringing up quite painful memories of
decades past...

> In case anyone reading this is not aware, the documentation is a
> community effort, and everyone is welcome to contribute. (That's how
> things like this get updated!) So, if you'd like to get involved with
> the project, this is a great way to do it. You can read more about
> how
> to submit documentation changes here:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/doc-guidelines

Second sentence of the second paragraph:

"If you notice a problem with the documentation or some way it can be
improved, please report it!"

And to quote the "How to Contribute" below:

"If you’re already familiar with GitHub or wish to work from the
command line, you can skip the rest of this section.
All you need to do to contribute is to fork and clone the qubes-doc
repo, make your changes, then submit a pull request.)"

1) Not doing anything that needs git I'm staying with CVS since 1995
for my own projects and do not want to deal with git.

2) git (or any other descendant of CVS) is hardly the right tool to do
documentation in a community setting just like a hammer is the adequate
tool for everything.

The effect can be easily seen here: Important information is not
updated (a lot of the pages are still referring to 3.2 only; just
remember my last remark about bind-dirs in the 4.0 fedora-templates)
and a lot of knowledge that would be easy to collect in a MediaWiki
with its low hurdles regarding access to editing tools is just getting
lost (see the messages about getting NICs in Lenovo P-series to work
(or installing Qubes there); several people solved the problem and
nobody documented it -- I certainly won't if it means wrangling with a
versioning system and vi instead of adequate tools). Reading qubes-
users and the Reddit discussions contain a lot beginner-level stuff
that should be recorded somewhere but if that means using git I would
assume 99.9% of those who could do it just giving up.

I remember similar discussions in the FreeBSD and NetBSD projects a few
decades ago. Their hard stance on availability and participation in
documentation projects ("use our tools or die" instead of "let's see if
we find something that works for all") was (besides the UCB vs AT&T
copyright disputes that halted development for more than a year) one of
the things that made lots of people move to Linux.

Achim