On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 01:27:43AM +0100, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> On 16/12/2021 01.07, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > Here is how qrexec policy prompt is doing it:
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-qrexec/blob/master/qrexec/tools/qrexec_policy_exec.py#L64-L112
>
> Bad news, I did not understand any of that code. :-(
>
> Just to see if I understand at least the process:
>
> 1. dom0 sends RPC `policy.Ask` to GUIVM
> 2. this policy program pops up a dialog
> 3. the response comes back

Yes, exactly.

> If this is correct, please let me know if my following theory is correct:
>
> 1. I create a `policy.AskBlah` policy with the same config as `policy.Ask`

Since it's dom0 who make the "policy prompt" call, you don't need a
policy for it.

> 2. I move my program that asks via UI to the package to be installed in
>    the GUIVM

Yes.

> 3. I also move my RPC service code to that package

You mean the ruddo.AuthorizeFolderAccess service? No, that stays in
dom0.

> 4. I make my dom0 RPC that (today) executes the GUI program, invoke the
>    policy.AskBlah service, and await a response

Yes.

> If so, how do I distinguish between the case of GUIVM and no GUIVM?

You check for the source domains's "guivm" property. If it's "dom0", you
call `/etc/qubes-rpc/policy.AskBlah` directly, otherwise you call it via
qvm-run.

> Additionally, what about the folder share manager application?  It currently
> runs in dom0 (kinda has to, because dom0 is where the file share policy is
> stored).

Yes, I guess it should remain in dom0 in this design.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab