On Sun, Sep 04, 2022 at 10:05:42PM +0200, mm wrote:
> Hello Marek,
>

> thank you for resurrecting the thread. I wanted to write like a week ago,
>
> but yet, it lasted longer.
>
> I am glad to announce that the initial hurdle for Qubes OS docs
> RST-conversion,
> localization, hosting on RtD is behind us and you can see a preliminary
> result on
>
> https://current-qubes-docrtd.readthedocs.io/en/latest
>
> This is the current status of the branch rtd-test-default-html-theme  in the
> repo https://github.com/maiska/qubesos.github.io.rtd + submodules

This looks very promising!

> To see the partially translated docs in german you can go
> down to the left, click on the arrow right to 'v:latest' and choose the
> language.
>
> There are further tweeks to be done, such as epub and pdf, but the big step
> is taken (including automated conversion via script and postprocessing
> cross-referencing in sphinx, but still needing minor manually fixes after
> that, documentation follows) and translation workflow tested.
>
> I will not bother you with details at that stage but with questions.
>
> The outline of the questions is as follows:
>
> 1. Easily fixable dead end urls as found in the official docs
> 2. Non easily fixable links
> 3. Website content vs RtD documentation content
> 4. Hidden documentation files
>
> 1. These are the commits that show what can be fixed imho.
>
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-doc.rtd/commit/0b8529a026da0523355eec55c57c1da2aa110d07
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-doc.rtd/commit/2b05ac2d8418adbc1d4215d3d54195b3ca8e7f58
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-doc.rtd/commit/6772392f3e2e682d953d7e3b8d9f870867de202a
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-doc.rtd/commit/538bac0e0c368cd54e5acb0b5d1ffb77e06e5045
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-doc.rtd/commit/eb4d1dade1697d4b9e725db8871b1c54ec8c61d6
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-doc.rtd/commit/a8884c8e11f91458bb8ea30d6bbea49e25db48b2
>
> Question: Should I just create Pull Requests for the proposed fixes

Yes, makes sense. I wonder why URL checker hasn't found them... Or maybe
it did but we ignored it?

> 2. At least one broken for me unfixable link
>
> in
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/edit/master/developer/releases/2_0/release-notes.md
> l 41
>
> Empty Response or No Access-Control-Allow-Origin
> https://wiki.qubes-os.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&type=defect&milestone=Release+2.1+(post+R2)&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority
> http://localhost:5656/developer/releases/2_0/release-notes.html
>
> Question: Could you fix that? :)

Since that's about Qubes R2, I think the link can be simply dropped.
(otherwise it's probably possible to write similar github issues filter,
but I wouldn't bother)

> 3. My suggestion is to keep the documentation index and some Markdown files
> in the changed qubes os website repo,
> the converted RST files in a new one with two submodules: attachment and
> _translated

Yes, this sounds like a good plan.

> A new sample Qubes RST documentation repository (without any translations
> yet) can be found here:
>
> git clone -b qubes-rst-doc https://github.com/maiska/qubes-rst-doc.git
>
> A new sample Qubes Website incorporating RST documenation can be found here:
>
> git clone -b new-master https://github.com/maiska/qubesos.github.io.rtd.git

So, it references _doc submodule that basically is just about redirects
to the new doc. Makes sense to keep links working.

> The following files will be retained at this stage, due to liquid templating
> (needs some tweeking if
> one wishes to work with sphinx templating) and also these are perhaps also
> just part of the official website not the documenation as I see it at least
> atm
>
> - https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/
> - https://www.qubes-os.org/downloads/
> - https://www.qubes-os.org/security/xsa/
> - https://www.qubes-os.org/security/qsb/
> - https://www.qubes-os.org/security/canary/
> - https://www.qubes-os.org/security/pgp-keys/

Sounds fine. IMO those should be moved to the main repo. In fact, actual
data for those pages is already in the main repo (_data/), just not the
.md file...

> Question: Are you OK with this? Or should I leave the question for the talk?
>
> 4. Hidden files not yet deleted or referenced in the index are to be found
> here (not in the german version of the index rn):
>
> https://current-qubes-docrtd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#hidden-gems
>
> Question: Should the index be populated with them?

You mean pages that are only linked from some sub-section but not the
main index? Or not linked at all?

Some of those are normally linked from the website footer,
https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/ or similar.
But generally, IMO better have every doc page linked to the main index.

> Regarding the old translation markdown workflow - it is still there, and can
> be brushed off the dust.
>
> P.S. I just realized that my .vimrc config was broken. Please excuse the
> tabs...!

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki