Dear Qubes Community,

The following new templates are now available:

*Qube OS 4.1*
- Debian 12
- Debian 12 [minimal](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/minimal/)

*Qubes OS 4.2-rc1*
- Debian 12
- Debian 12 [minimal](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/minimal/)
- Debian 12 [Xfce](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/xfce/)

There are two ways to upgrade your template to a new Debian release:

- *Recommended*: [Install a fresh template to replace the existing
one.](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/debian/#installing) *This option
may be simpler for less experienced users.* After you install the new template,
redo all desired template modifications and [switch everything that was set to
the old template to the new
template](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/#switching). You may want to
write down the modifications you make to your templates so that you remember
what to redo on each fresh install. In the old Debian template, see
`/var/log/dpkg.log` and `/var/log/apt/history.log` for logs of package manager
actions.

- *Advanced*: [Perform an in-place upgrade of an existing Debian
template.](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/debian/in-place-upgrade/)
This option will preserve any modifications you've made to the template, *but
it may be more complicated for less experienced users.*

For a complete list of template releases that are supported for your specific
Qubes release, see our [supported template releases]. Please note that no user
action is required regarding the OS version in dom0 (see our [note on dom0 and
EOL](https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/supported-releases/#note-on-dom0-and-eol)).

This announcement is also available on the Qubes website:
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2023/08/27/debian-12-templates-available/