On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:05:39 +0000 'unman' via qubes-devel wrote:

> However, the 4 and 6 rulesets are distinct and although they could be
> merged to a single table, the result would not be any cleaner. While
> there is some duplication, there are also distinctions.
> Sometimes keeping separate tables allows for greater clarity.

I am not quite sure what you mean by cleaner and greater clarity.
Compare the 2 files I am attaching.

separate.nft - as it is currently in Qubes
single.nft - a quick attempt to merge them into a single inet table

separate - 133 lines
single - 82 lines

I have not made any performance comparison but in regards to
simplicity, single.nft looks simpler to me. Perhaps it can be optimized
even more, e.g. dropping invalid packets in early in prerouting hook
instead of letting them to input.

What do you think? Has any optimization been considered?