On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 04:19:06AM -0700, Gerhard Weck wrote:
>  Currently, there does not seem to be a working way to run Windows VMs
> using Qubes Windows Tools under Qubes R4.2.1. So putting Qubes R4.1.2 to
> EOL forces installations with such qubes to select one of the following two
> alternatives: either discontinue the use of Qubes as a protective shield
> for Windows or use a deprecated version of Qubes. Both have to be regarded
> as a regression.
>
> Windows qubes imported from R4.1.2 to R4.2.1 should retain their complete
> functionality or, alternatively, EOL of R4.2.1 should be postponed until
> such functionality is available under Qubes R4.2.1.
>
> This problem may be solved if Qubes issue #1861
> <https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1861> is completed before
> the scheduled EOL for R4.1.

The problem is that the QWT are currently insecure. It seems
unreasonable to suggest that Qubes should allow users to work with such
software.

In my view, if some software is deprecated or insecure, then it is
reasonable for it to be removed from a new release. This happens all the
time in other distributions, (and in Windows too.)

Is it true that there is no working way to use QWT, or is this an issue
with some aspects of the QWT, or is it specific to importing from 4.1
with some features enabled?
There are users of Windows in 4.2

--
I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.