On 2016-06-28 12:01, Franz wrote:
Hello,

is there some form of tutorial for using Bitcoins with Qubes,
considering that I have no experience of bitcoins?

It seem I should have a VM for a hot wallet for making transactions
and another for a cold wallet to keep the bitcoins. But have no idea
if it is possible to move bitcoins between the two

Also imagine a good practice would be to make a backup of the VMs
containing the wallets using Qubes backup.

It would be also interesting to know which clients you consider safer
for buying and selling bitcoins.

Thanks

Best
Fran

Hi, Fran. I've done exactly this using the Electrum bitcoin wallet. I have a dedicated hot ("watching") wallet in its own VM, and a cold (offline) wallet in a separate VM that's never network-connected. Although I'm hardly a bitcoin expert, I don't think it's a matter of "transferring bitcoin from one wallet to another." Rather, I think the cold wallet just holds the private keys used when authorizing bitcoin transactions. For example, if I'm buying something with 1 bc, I generate a pending transaction in the hot wallet, sign that transaction in the cold wallet, transfer the signed transaction back to the hot wallet, and then broadcast it from there. That way, only that 1 bc is ever vulnerable in a network-connected VM.

If I'm misunderstanding this, or doing it wrong, I'd love to be educated by a bitcoin guru!

Todd