On 01/07/16 02:05, raahe...@gmail.com wrote:

> I think this is a good idea in general, whether the firmware is
> free software or proprietary software. However, there are certain
> wireless chipsets (made by Atheros corporation) which work without
> a proprietary firmware blob for WiFi, but don't for Bluetooth, so
> even if they largely work without the proprietary program, the
> operating system still loads some proprietary program not needed
> (most people don't use Bluetooth at any rate). I own such a chipset
> on my desktop computer; Debian works without any proprietary
> software at all, while Tails loads firmware for the Bluetooth. What
> is the answer to this, do you make exceptions for firmware only for
> wireless cards and GPUs? Or do you just allow them all through.
>
> Another thing I have read is that Linux-libre's deblob scripts
> don't just get rid of firmware that is proprietary, it removes all
> binary files disguised as source files (e.g. some binary file
> named "something.h") and "obfuscated" driver sources (I believe
> that the 2D nv driver has been accused of this). Would you consider
> at least adapting the deblob scripts from Linux-libre to work for
> your kernel to only allow select firmware through, for the most
> common computers? Another option, like Debian (and, if I recall,
> Ubuntu to some extent, although I have never installed Ubuntu),
> which I think would be even better is to have a completely free
> kernel by default, then a separate repository for firmware, which
> can be enabled in the installation process. It would probably be
> considerably simpler than adapting the deblob scripts to be quite
> selective, too. It wouldn't make Qubes compliant with the Free
> Software Foundation's "Free Software Distribution Guidelines", but
> I think that from a security perspective it is better than
> including the proprietary 'blobs' by default, and is a balance
> between usability of obscure hardware and security of dom0 (it
> never hurts). What do you think of this proposal?
>
> ---- Thanks for your reply, it was really helpful for allowing me
> to understand more about your security policies.
>
> D.
>

> I think what Marek is saying is that from a security standpoint it
> doesn't really matter because the netcard is isolated even at the
> hardware level with iommu supported system.   And if it messes with
> your network traffic you should be using encryption,  https or tor
> etc..
>
> I think the reason they are not adopting such kernel is cause qubes
> is trying to get more users and hardware compatibility is the
> biggest hurdle and turn off to people.  Its still new type of os
> and people are hesitant.   Also most people use laptops and
> wouldn't be as willing to buy an external usb network card for
> qubes.    Which might also be troublesome in some cases when trying
> to isolate usb controllers.

I understand what Marek is saying. I'm saying that ideally we
shouldn't let any proprietary software by loaded by dom0, because we
simply have no idea what it does. For example, someone could pressure
the people who write the firmware to put something nasty in it
designed to attack Qubes and TAILS users, to exploit Xen and break out
of the hypervisor. It is a distinct possibility, considering we are
living in the age of Orwell.
What I am proposing (nonfree repository turned off by default) means
that we can have hardware support while ideally avoiding the
proprietary software as much as possible. If it works for Debian and
Ubuntu, then I am sure it would work for Qubes. For instance, this
might be easier if dom0 was based on Debian, as I am aware this was
discussed.

I am also still confused about how I might install Linux-libre in dom0
and replace all the proprietary stuff with the packages from freed-ora
repositories (or my own). I think a guide in the documentation for
this would be good. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your reply,
D.