On 2016-08-04 07:28, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 02:02:59PM +0000, 46l47g+27idcs742td9g via
> qubes-users wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I finally managed to put this to work, the missing part was to install
>> the qubes-usb-proxy also on the sys-usb as well (mea culpa) :) I'm now
>> able to attach the webcam to any AppVM, unfortunately the only caveat is
>> that when I unassigned the device from the AppVM back to the sys-usb I'm
>> not able to get the camera working again on the sys-usb - the device
>> doesn't seem to be present.
>
> Indeed this is how it is working now. Mostly because device is still
> connected to usbip-host driver and isn't switched back to the original
> one.
>
>> Is this the expected behavior?
>
> That's a good question. I think the most common use case would be to
> either: - use device directly in sys-usb all the time - for example if you
> use a different mechanism to make it available to other VMs - like
> qvm-block, or simply mount it there and copy to/from files using qubes file
> copy - don't use it in sys-usb at all and only attach to some VM when
> needed - like for webcam - you don't have your video call credentials in
> sys-usb, but in some other dedicated VM
>
> Generally it is based on assumption that sys-usb serves only as an
> interface to the devices, but all the data is stored in some AppVM.
>
> If this is correct, switching device driver back to the original one is
> just waste of time.
>
> Joanna, Andrew, what do you think?

I agree. We should assume that sys-usb is compromised (due to the existence of
things like BadUSB). We certainly don't want the user's webcam spying on him
or her from sys-usb, so the safe default would be not to switch the device
driver back to sys-usb (at least not without explicit user consent).

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org