On 2016-08-13 01:48, johnroberts19...@gmail.com wrote:

> What is the output of "qubes-set-updates status" (in dom0)?
>

>> dom0 = disabled vms = enabled
>

> Also, check the "Services" tab of the affected TemplateVMs. There should a
> service called "qubes-update-check", and its box should *not* have a check
> mark.
>
>> there was no "qubes-update-check" i add it and uncheck it.
>
>> now "qubes-set-updates status" message me:
>
>> dom0 = disabled vms = mixed
>
>> it seems to be working.thank you. but why i have to do it manualy?

I'm not sure why the manual change is required. It is conceivable that there
has been a regression of #892 (CC Marek):

In any case, please note that "mixed" means that some TemplateVMs have update
checks enabled, while others do not. If you don't want *any* update checks,
you need make sure that both are set to "disabled".

In order to do this, you can try issuing "qubes-update-check disable" (from
dom0), then check the status again. If that still doesn't work, then make sure
to manually add the "qubes-update-check" service and uncheck the box in every
TemplateVM (assuming, again, that you don't want any TemplateVMs to have
automatic update checking).

>> the same is for whonix... it says there are updates even if sys-whonix
>> isn't running and don't connected to tor...

I imagine this is because the whonix-gw template still has update checking
enabled (see above). Try disabling it (as instructed above) and see if the
problem persists.

> This setting doesn't affect update checks. The update checks are done by
> AppVMs based on the TemplateVMs. The updates proxy setting just controls
> whether the TemplateVM itself is able to communicate with remote repos
> when you actually try to update it.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS