But presumably this private.img is going to include things like:

folder: /etc/init.d/

file: /etc/rc.local

things like this, which are used to do start-up scripts.

So anyone who hacked the VM might place some start-up scripts which link to
malware stored on the machine.

So these are going to be backed up by the Qubes backup system.

This is why I thought it would be better to use an internal Fedora system to do
the backup.

Doing this would also prevent you from having to shut down your VM in order to
do the backup, which is a drain on productivity.

---

Or am I wrong here..? Would this somehow not back up any start-up scripts...?

Because that's what I'm worried about.