Just spent a few minutes to figure this out so I thought I'd share.

If you're a Signal user on Android, you can now have Signal inside Qubes.
Here's how I did it:

1. Install the Chromium browser in your appvm template - skip if you were
already using it. Shut down the template VM.
2. Create a new AppVM called Signal
3. Launch Chromium browser in new VM, go to chrome://extensions/ in the
address bar and follow the link to the Chrome app store.
4. In the app store, search for "Signal private messenger" and install the
app.
5. The app launches automatically on first install. Follow the prompts to
"link" this app with your phone.
6. At this stage Signal should work on your Qubes system.

Let's make Signal a bit more usable by creating a shortcut in our desktop
panel that launches Signal directly. (this assumes KDE desktop on Dom0)

7. Create a Chromium shortcut using the Qubes way (Q -> Domain: Signal ->
Signal: Add more shortcuts... -> Select "Chromium web browser")
8. Follow
http://support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/216839277-Where-is-Signal-Desktop-on-my-computer-
to create a desktop shortcut
9. Right-click on Chromium icon in panel, select "Icon Settings"
10. Change the "Command" field of the "Application" tab to: qvm-run -a
--tray Signal '/usr/lib64/chromium-browser/chromium-browser.sh
--profile-directory=Default --app-id=(long string which you'll get from the
properties of the desktop shortcut you created in step #7)'
11. Copy the Signal app icon file from the Signal AppVM to Dom0. I used the
following command to copy the icon file to Dom0: [user@dom0]$ qvm-run
--pass-io Signal 'cat
/home/user/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/chrome-(long-appID)-Default.png'
> /home/users/signal-icon.png
12. Now you can change your new shortcut's icon from Chrome to Signal, by
pointing it to /home/users/signal-icon.png

If anyone has a better way of creating a custom panel shortcut I'd love to
hear it.

Cheers,

Alex