On 08/14/2016 06:33 PM, Unman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 02:58:26PM +0000, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>> On 08/12/2016 01:39 PM, neilhard...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I would like to be able to do something like:
>>>
>>> 1. Use Whonix/Tor as a disposable VM
>>>
>>> 2. Record browsing history using an external software
>>>
>>> One of the reasons I don't use Tor that much (other than slow speed,
>>> captchas etc) is because I actually want to have a record of the websites I
>>> have visited.
>>>
>>> We know that it could be risky to have the Tor browser itself record
>>> history, if it gets hacked.
>>>
>>> But to have some tool running outside of the VM would be useful..
>>
>> For the same reason that attackers outside the VM can't see what you're
>> visiting, you yourself won't be able to see it either.
>>
>> What you want is not doable.
>>
>> If you want to have a record of sites you visit, then tell the Tor
>> Browser to record your browsing history, and hope that works for you.
>>
>> --
>>     Rudd-O
>>     http://rudd-o.com/
>>

> It should be possible to insert a proxy between the browser and the Tor
> gateway, and sniff the traffic there.
> You could use a crafted tcpdump filter to some effect, but you wont just
> get a record of websites, but all requests, so you will have to do some
> post processing on the file to identify the websites. Not difficult, but
> probably wont be exactly what you want. It will, of course, also include
> all resource requests: that could be interesting, and might surprise
> you.
>
> unman

I was thinking something like have the Tor Browser record history in a
disposable VM, and have a Qubes RPC pull the Firefox profile to a
separate VM. More options like parsing the SQLite database could be
included to increase usability.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

--
kulinacs <nickl...@kulinacs.com>