johnyju...@sigaint.org:
>> This problem persists in 3.2rc2.
>>
>> (And I get 0 errors on the same USB drive under Tails.  When I can find
>> the SATA power connector around here somewhere, I'll try moving the drive
>> direct onto the SATA bus.)
>
> I think the problem *may* be that systemd has a default 90 second timeout
> on jobs, including unmounting root.
>
> On an external USB drive, due to slower transfer times, the shutdown
> process of all the VM's, killing processes, flushing buffers, etc.,
> happens to take long enough that a clean unmount of the drive doesn't get
> a chance to occur, leaned to a corrupted filesystem.
>
> If I shut down each Appvm manually before finally doing the reboot, the
> work left to do on shutdown lets the unmount occur with in 90 seconds, so
> the drive shuts down cleanly.
>
> I think that's what I've been seeing, anyway.  There's a lot of disk
> activity while systemd talks about outstanding jobs, and while the time
> remaining of waiting for the jobs, ticks down to zero.
>
> Now, why the fsck on boot fails (and things fall into r/o mode, and fail
> thus hang the boot sequence), I'm not sure.  It could be a similar
> problem, that startup jobs aren't happening within the 90 second default
> job window for systemd (due to slower USB transfers, and the time taken
> for the fsck), and the boot process gives up.
>
> People with internal drives and killer machines wouldn't see this issue.
>
> I'm going to try cranking up DefaultTimeoutStartSec and
> DefaultTimeoutStopSec in /etc/systemd/system.conf, and see if that
> improves the situation.  I'll also scrutinize systemd-analyze (which I
> just learned about, being an old-school /etc/init.d guy, lol) and see if
> that confirms my suspicions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JJ

This might explain why I didn't see this behavior, because the external
USB drive that I booted 3.2rc1 from was a USB3 drive that internally
used RAID0, so it's probably faster than most.  Might I ask whether your
external USB drive was USB2 or USB3, whether it was an HDD or SSD, and
whether it used RAID0?

Cheers,
-Jeremy Rand