On 08/27/2016 10:50 PM, johnyju...@sigaint.org wrote:
> BTW, keepassx rocks.  I'm working on some scripts to make it a little
> less painful with all the Ctrl-Alt-C and Ctrl-Alt-V'ing (which also
> conflicts with the standard konsole paste shortcuts).
That would be nice. KeepassX used to have a working auto-type feature
before v2, in which it was completely broken on Qubes. I did not try the
auto-type of keepassx2 on any other fedora installation...

> And to digress further, does anyone have opinions on Keepass2?  It
> looks "shinier," but I'm not sure needing to haul in all of Mono
> *adds* to one's peace of mind...?
I tried that, because I used to use that on Windows before moving my
main workstation to qubes. It's even more broken than keepassx2.

And I say that as a professional cross-platform C# developer, so
absolutely no prejudice against Mono.

> I realize some of the factors are licensing issues, but having to go
> to a non-Fedora-approved, non-Fedora-Reviewed, repository (Fusion) to
> simply view mp4 videos with mp3 audio didn't sit well with me.
>
> And half the "howto's" about adding that repository involved a
> --nogpgcheck flag, which isn't cool with me, either.  :)  I guess
> there are signing keys around, and people say "yeah, sure, you can
> trust rpmfusion, it's been around forever" but it just doesn't seem
> as provably trustworthy as the core repo.  It'd be a great vector for
> attack.
> [....]
> These days, I think anyone is subject to attacks on a mass scale,
> for anyone who is willing to pay to get access to the hacks.  Many a
> time I've been led to believe that things are simply hacked by
> default, and up for sale if the price is right, to anyone with enough
> money or craziness to invest in it.
>
> Just my cynical point of view.  :)

I understand your cynical point of view, but just two paragraphs above
that you seem to heavily discriminate against "non-core" repositories
(i.e., rpmfusion) wrt Fedora's official repositories.

I can't agree with you on that: for me, the Fedora repository is just as
exploitable as any other repository can be, be it rpmfusion or debian;
did you ever question your blind trust in Fedora's repos above the
others? Why do you think one is preferable than the others? I'm sorry if
I sound a little aggressive, English is not my primary language, I just
want to understand your point of view.

That distrust in software repositories is one of the very reasons for
the templated infrastructure of qubes: isolate vms, create different
templates with different software to minimize exposure of data to
untrusted software.

> Agreed.  I keep my keepass database on one removable device, with a
> keyfile on a separate removable device plus a password.  Some
> cowardly creep/crook wants to tamper with my system while I'm out,
> they're not going to get very far.

I think you are mixing threat models, and I myself lost once in that sea...

Being Qubes a single-user OS for local-console-interactive workstations,
the question about caching web passwords in browser or not does not
belong to analysis of physical exploits; thus my threat model, which
does not include any physical attacks beyond evil maid.

But judging from your paragraph, I can't discern your threat model. Is
it a software exploit? Is it an untrusty person walking up to your
computer? It seems to me quite inconvenient to have to juggle with 2 usb
thumb drives, with all the added burden of connecting each to the
correct AppVM...

About that: connecting USB thumb drives to AppVMs it's just a couple
clicks more, but the added work drove me in using thumb drives less than
before. And I think that's a relatively healthy habit to acquire... But
I'm going too much OT.

> That reminds me: one thing I think I read in some Qubes architecture
> docs or online reviews, was the mention that each AppVM's filesystem
> was individually encrypted with its own key, which is clearly not
> currently the case.
>
> Are there any plans to support this in the Qubes VM Manager?
>
> Currently, I just keep personal communications, documents, etc., in
> a separate, encrypted, mountable device that I can assign to a VM as
> needed. But having individual keys for each VM would go further
> towards one stated goal of disallowing each VM or dom0 from being
> able to snoop on each other.
I don't agree this will add any security. Since the keys should actually
be in dom0 (or pass through that, if entered by a user), having a
compromised dom0 will ultimately lead to global vulnerability, be the
disk images encrypted or not. This will negatively impact performance,
instead.

Again, depending on the threat model, you may want to be able to give up
some functionality to increase security in specific scenarios, but - as
for the two thumb drives - does the burden really pay out for the users?
What benefit to the world does it give an OS which is nearly unusable
because of some very unlikely scenarios? I think Qubes fits the general
purpose secure OS model, with isolation and segmentation, and I think
this makes it fill a long-standing gap between the
Windows-with-administrator-user and air-gapped military mainframes.

If some user is so concerned with security, they may want to move to
military tools or remember that thermorectal cryptanalysis (or the XKCD
wrench, if you like) breaks any software security scheme...

--
Alex