W dniu sobota, 3 września 2016 13:37:27 UTC+2 użytkownik pixel fairy napisał:
> On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 2:32:54 AM UTC-7, grzegorz....@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > I know that QubesOS is developed mostly with notebook use in mind, however
> > some users, me included, opt to run it on desktop computers. The question
> > is, is there any advantage of building a Qubes-dedicated machine on
> > workstation/server components?
>
> mostly ecc ram. its a shame non-ecc is so prevalent. in practice, i dont
> think the difference is worth it. there are many more important variables.
>
> > Will Qubes be able to take advantage of higher core count in Xeon
> > processors?
> > Or two processors if a user decides to build a dual-CPU rig?
> > Does the system performance scale with the number of available cores/ clock
> > speed?
>
> yes.
>
> > Can it take advantage of ECC RAM?
> > Server hardware that is few years old can be bought for dirt cheap (Xeon
> > E5-2670 has 8 cores and costs about 75$).
>
> it will benefit the same as any another machine from ecc ram.
>
> > I'll be upgrading from my current PC and I'm seriously considering building
> > a rig around a Xeon processor and a motherboard with ECC RAM but if there
> > is no real benefit then what's the point?
>
> apparently price is the advantage, but think of your ears! server hardware is
> loud.
>
> if your willing to spend more on good hardware, go for a good ssd, and good
> ddr4 ram (G.Skill or Geil) in case bitflipping attacks start showing up.
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/rowhammer-attack-now-works-on-ddr4-memory-501898.shtml

Xeon it is then. As for the rowhammering attack as far as I know ECC RAM is not
vulnereable to that. t's a shame that the more powerful Xeon CPUs don't come
with a built in GPU, I'll have to make do with a current one. Added benefit
here is that pretty much all Xeons support technologies necessary for Qubes 4.0
compliance. Wonder why they aren't more popular among desktop users.