Am Dienstag, 13. September 2016 09:57:53 UTC+2 schrieb ludwig jaffe:
> Qubes OS 3.2 rc3: can not boot with VT-d enabled on DELL T7400 (XEON E5440,
> Intel 5400 chipset)
>
> Hi all, I can NOT boot on my machine, Dell T7400 (XEON E5440, Intel 5400
> chipset, LSI HW-RAID1 "DELL SAS6" and 4GB RAM - will become more) with VT-d
> enabled.
> When I disable VT-d in bios, the machine boots and can run several VMs.
>
> VT-d is needed to assign certain pci-devices to VMs (e.g. scsi-controller to
> vm with some proprietary scanner application running windows).
>
> How does it behave?
>
> The grub screen is loaded, and one can select the options, here I edit to
> remove quiet as I want to see.
>
> So grub loads, XEN, vmlinuz, initrd.img,
> and then it crashes on the spot, causing the machine to reboot.
>
> No debug output can be seen.
>
> Any Ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ludwig

Hi, I tried to change this in grub while booting:
press esc and edit the line  with the kernel parameters and I removed "quiet"
and added "console=com1 com1=115200,8n1
loglvl=all"
Also I tried with com2 as my fat DELL T7400 has 2 real serial interfaces.
I used a 0 modem cable and minicom with a linux laptop that also has a real
serial interface.
But maybe, I made a mistake (wrong /dev/tty or cable problem) and I will check
again and redo it.
But the console output was still written to the screen (I guess it is the
output of grub while it boots). After grub finishes loading XEN, KERNEL,
initrd.img, the machine crashes on the spot with VT-d enabled, and reboots.
So I guess the initial code that gets executed after grub, which should be the
xen, causes the machine to crash.
Any Ideas?
Is there a debug-version of xen that qubes-os uses.
The parameters in grub where I remove this stupid "quiet" are just for the
kernel, that gets executed later, after xen!
I do not see any screen output, even no flicker with text.
Just after grub finishes a blank black screen and then the machine reboots.
So xen should at least write some hello world stuff to the screen.

Quite strange. How to debug xen?