> You can get a motherboard that has a removable bios chip that you can just
> snap in to replace,  Then call the company and have them send you one or
> two to hold onto for emergency lol.  There is also mobos with dualbios,
> most ly this is for bringing a bricked board back to life.

I actually have one of those motherboards here.  It sounded like a very
kick-ass feature, the double-bios to restore in case of problems.  And the
board has 8 SATA, a dozen USB, some serious video and audio capabilities,
32g memory capabilities, IOMMU, etc.

But it was given to me out of the blue right after I retired a
dodgy/compromised machine, so I'm a little wary.  A shame, because it's
one hell of a motherboard.

I might fire it up with Qubes in a non-critical/non-trusted manner.  (Or
set it up in a Windows machine, sell it, and buy a known secure
motherboard.  :) )

> Also don't forget malware can reside in other firmware also.  SO that
> means all pci devices,  like gpu,  netcard.  etc...  most experts will
> tell you just to replace everything to be sure if you think you are
> compromised at that level and its important.

Would you say a motherboard that integrates a lot of that (with the dual
recovery BIOS) would be less prone to compromise (or at least easier to
restore from compromise) than a machine that separate PCI cards providing
that sound/video/net?

Presumably, if you can trust the vendor and its BIOS, one flashing of the
BIOS (or recovery from the backup) should restore you to a state that
could be trusted.  A lot easier than doing the same (if even possible) for
the net/sound/video add-on cards, no?

Or would it be easier for a threat actor to attack a specific motherboard
and its integrated peripherals, rather than a random set of add-on cards?

JJ