On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 10:30:06 PM UTC-4, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
wrote:
> On 10/13/2016 02:25 PM, John Maher wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 12:06:15 PM UTC-4, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
> > wrote:

> >> By default, GVFS won't actually mount it — it just appears in the Files
> >> window.  I believe the first time you attempt to activate (open) a file
> >> on the share, GVFS does the mount.  It used to be different, I know, I
> >> just hit this issue myself a few days ago.
> >>
> >> This is more a GNOME upstream thing.
> >>
> >> Do your files show on the file manager?
> >>

> >> --
> >>     Rudd-O
> >>     http://rudd-o.com/
> > The real issue is that I'm trying to access a KeePassX database that
> > resides on a smb share, and the Database > Open dialog box does not present
> > mounted smb shares or bookmarks to the shares. Any thoughts on this?
>
> You need an actual mount for that to work, and the dialog box will not
> trigger the mount operation.  You have two choices:
>
> 1) Open your KeepAssX database in a StandaloneVM which you have
> configured to mount the SMB drive.
> 2) In the template, create and enable an /etc/systemd/system mount unit
> for the SMB drive, that is only active if a file in
> /var/run/qubes-service/<SERVICEFILE> exists (check the various
> qubes-*.service files in /usr/lib/systemd/system for examples on how the
> ConditionPathExists thing works), then set up the qubes-service
> <SERVICEFILE> on the VM in question.  That way, when you boot the VM in
> question, and only that VM in question, the mount appears immediately.
>
> I would also use automount units if I were you, just to make sure that
> your VM where you run KeepAssX boots fast and does not wait to mount the
> remote device.
>
> Here is a crude example of such a thing:
>
> [user@tpl ~]$ mkdir /mnt/keepassxmount
> [user@tpl ~]$ cat > /etc/systemd/system/mnt-keepassxmount.mount
> [Unit]
> Description=Mount /mnt/keepassxmount
> ConditionPathExists=/var/run/qubes-service/mnt-keepassxmount
> Before=remote-fs.target
> After=remote-fs-pre.target mnt-keepassxmount.path
>
> [Mount]
> What=//smbserverip/keepassxmount
> Where=/mnt/keepassxmount
> Type=cifs
> Options=_netdev,cache=strict,forceuid,forcegid,noperm,noserverino,nomapposix,nomapchars,uid=user,gid=user,forceuid,forcegid
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=remote-fs.target
> [user@tpl ~]$ systemctl enable mnt-keepassxmount.mount
>
> At this point you add the Qubes service mnt-keepassxmount in your VM's
> configuration.
>
> Option 3: use some file sync service to keep that KeepAssX file
> synchronized to local disk on that VM.
>

> --
>     Rudd-O
>     http://rudd-o.com/

Manuel, this is awesome! Thank you for the extensive explanation.

Regarding option 3, are you referring to a Qubes service or some other type of
utility? Being new to Qubes, your mentioning of services above is my
introduction to Qubes services.

John