On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 8:35:14 PM UTC+11, Laszlo Zrubecz wrote:
> Another - currently implementable - way to use a proxy VM (as it is
> currently used as a dnf/yum proxy) and install your desired intrusion
> detection software there.
> Suricata is a good candidate for such thing:
> https://suricata-ids.org/

If I view a malicious jpeg image on a site that drops malware onto my browsing
VM, I want to know about that. Quite possible that a proxyVM would not help me
here if it doesn't match some known signature. That sounds more like intrusion
*prevention* than detection (though I know Suricata does both).

Something like OSSEC might, however, tell me that some new file exists or
existing file has changed in some unexpected way, or that a new service has
started listening on a port (whether or not the Qubes firewall is blocking).
The knowledge is what matters to me most.

Anyway thanks - I know of many of the products out there, just was interested
to hear if anyone had implemented on their Qubes in practice.

Cheers