On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 10:25:47 AM UTC-5, Desobediente wrote:
> If you just want to move files in the old fashion way and not entire AppVM in
> the sense that the AppVMs should remain in the original drive, in other
> words, if you want to be able to remove the other hard drive from the system
> and will useit mainly for storage of large files,
>

> then the answers are more questions:
>

> is your qubes system encrypted?
> do you need the files to be encrypted?
>

> If you are willing to accept common knowledge as advice, then yes, you shall
> encrypt everything every time, unless there are reasons not to. For example,
> encrypted disks will make data unavailable to data recovery for an obvious
> reason. If the data is not sensitive and it should remain forever
> recoverable, that could be a reason not to encrypt data, but that is one
> exception of the above rule.
>

> Anyway, if this is your case, it should be simple as attaching the disk into
> any AppVM and running the GNOME Disks application. I'm not sure what's the
> name of that in the KDE and XFCE desktops, but i know that if you call it via
> terminal, it's gnome-disks.
>

> From there it should be straightforward, but there is this tutorial in the
> Tails website if you want:
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/encrypted_volumes/index.en.html

In the future I would probably store large files (or collections of large files
like music) but for now I had in mind at least storing some of my templateVM
copies as I have a backup copy of each template (and the WinHVM is taking up an
esp large amt of space).

As for my Qubes system, its def encrypted, that part I am sure of.

My general thought is, better to be safe than sorry. The exception I could
think of is if I had short-term bkups (I do "long term" bkups on an ext drive)
on this drive they are encrypted but most everything else I figure, why not
encrypt?

So gnome-disks, I think that will be pretty straight forward, but when I want
to open it I'd have to go to a VM -> file manager and enter a passwd everytime
... I think? (trying to wrap my head around this). If I wanted something a bit
automatic like the https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/ option, is
there a way the drive could automatically be mounted/decrypted so that template
backups could be accessed (and updated, wouldn't want out of date templates).

Thx!