Am 16.11.2016 um 11:53 schrieb taii...@gmx.com:
The "certified" program is stupid in its current form I agree but what is stopping you from buying a dell business or hpe machine with iommu/TPM and using that?

The uncertainty whether it will work with Qubes 4.0 at all as it is very improbable that it will support coreboot. And many companies require hardware fulfilling all requirements of the software they are planning to use so this will kill Qubes for them.

If you want a new open source firmware machine that supports adv. virtualization go hit up IBM, they'll happily sell you a high performance OpenPOWER8 system with just that, complete with a nice fat enterprise grade extended support maintenance contract.

Can I carry it around with me? I once had a SparcBook... Nice thing, that.

Coreboot is hobbyist/embedded pretty much,

That's the problem. Requiring it will exclude many from using Qubes. And a disclaimer "Qubes 4.0 might also work on EFI or even legacy firmware" isn nor enough reassurance.

the reason that only "outdated" designs are supported is because intel (and now AMD) actively tries to stop free firmware and people are mostly doing this on their spare time - it boils down to an issue of funding.

I don't care for the reason. There is no applicable "serious" hardware fulfilling the requirement so I cannot seriously try to move Qubes into corporate environments. Which will in the end severely restrictspreading of Qubes.

Achim