On 2016-11-19 11:54, Andrew David Wong wrote:
On 2016-11-16 13:31, Fred wrote:
A good time to ask if Qubes encrypts /boot in it's LUKS setup. I've not
checked myself.

By default, Qubes does not encrypt /boot. Traditionally, that's
because doing so would render the
system unbootable. However, that's no longer true with newer versions
of GRUB, which are now capable
of booting from encrypted block devices. So, it's worth considering
for Qubes. Tracking:

Yup. I know these days GRUB supports LUKS and things like mdadm, LVM etc so the days are hopefully gone since people need to worry about the position of /boot on disk or which esoterica are required to boot (and any intitrd issues).

I guess the bigger question is if it actually provides any real added protection? Someone can still re-install GRUB by booting from other media and reinstalling GRUB. If the authenticity of /boot can also be verified then maybe it does? But once physical access is gained the game is over I guess?