W dniu środa, 23 listopada 2016 00:34:09 UTC+1 użytkownik Drew White napisał:
> On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 13:41:30 UTC+11, Loren Rogers  wrote:

> > > It is a high temperature, but does it ONLY happen in Whonix?
> > > Or if you push the PC does it happen also?
> > > Have you tried limiting the threads Whonix can use?
> > >
> > > Sometimes CPUs have shutdown at 99 degrees.
> > > So 128 degrees is a bit high in my own opinion.
> > >
> > > I recommend you check the CPU Fan and heatsinks (if it has them).
> >
> > Thanks for the input - I just dusted out the fan, and we'll see if it
> > helps. It wasn't too bad, but we'll see if there's an improvement.
> >
> > No, it also randomly goes into auto-shutdown when backing up VMs.
> > However, that happens about 20% of the time. Whonix seems to do it about
> > 80% of the time, the other 20% I figure I shut it down before it does so
> > on its own. I figure there may be something in the Whonix VM that's
> > causing my processor to over work itself. The auto-shutdowns may be
> > ultimately linked to dust in the fan or something like that, but if
> > there's something processor intensive in Whonix, it may be worth looking
> > into.
> >
> > Also, a heat warning message would be nice. I assume the thresholds are
> > set via the bios - is there a standard way of monitoring this? (I'm not
> > particularly well versed in this sort of thing.)
>

> I recommend you get your HDD checked, and your RAM.
>
> Test both thoroughly.
> Could be some bad sectors.
> Also run a smartd check.
>
> Some PCs have system diagnostics built in for RAM in the startup sequence.

Thinkpads have known problem that after long time of usage GPU radiator glued
to the chip goes loose and X201 is rather older model. Not sure how to measure
GPU temp but if this is the case you can improve it yourself with superglue &
silver smear or any repair shop around shall do it for a few coppers.