On 2016-11-26 09:42, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> A strange networking problem just started in the past day or so:
> [...]

Thanks for the tips, Jean-Philippe, Marek, and Chris!

On 2016-11-26 11:26, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
>> I'd start with: dmesg, ifconfig -a -v, tcpdump, iptables-save.
>
> Particularly tcpdump on both sides to see where the packets are being dropped.

Ok, thanks. Will do.

On 2016-11-26 15:04, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Do you see some correlation with:
>  - starting/stopping another VM?
>  - affected VMs have or not firewall rules?
>
> Also, check if restarting qubes-firewall service in sys-firewall helps
> (and check it status first).

I didn't notice any, but I'll check again if/when it recurs.

On 2016-11-26 15:28, Chris Laprise wrote:
> Check out this thread:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/3aa66b77-9a06-83d8-d965-6583ef10d2a9%40gmail.com
>
> Author claims its dependent on running Qubes in a VM, but the symptoms are
> about the same and the trigger is a switch to fedora 24.
>
> My own problem with fedora 24 is that the minimal template seems incapable of
> acting as a simple Qubes firewall. No time to troubleshoot it.
>
> You may want to switch to debian for your service VMs... Versions 8 and 9 are
> working well for me.
>
> Chris

I did notice that other read, but at a glance I thought it was about
a different issue. I'll give it a second look. The funny thing is that
fedora-24-minimal had been working fine as a firewall (at least as far
as I could tell) until just very recently, and fedora-24 (full) also
exhibited the same problem. If I can't get it resolved quickly on
Fedora, I'll certainly give Debian a try! :)

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org