I followed instructions to install pvgrub2-xen in dom0. Then in template vm
installed qubes-kernel-vm-support and grub2-common.  Then i installed the
distribution kernel from debian repos with apt-get (3.16).   then update-grub
and shutdown but It doesn't work right.  I eventually would like to be able to
compile my own kernel,  was hoping it would be easier with pvgrub support but I
think I must be missing something.

When I boot it after selecting pvgrub in kernel settings.   sudo xl console
sows it has booted fine but then is asking me for a login.  If I type root i
get root.   But I can't load any applications in the gui environment.  from
dom0 terminal or from the start menu on desktop.

Thanks,
Rich