On 12/10/2016 08:42 PM, raahe...@gmail.com
wrote:

> I'e had the problem of being green for a second and immediately turning
> yellow with installing just a regular distro debian kernel with pvgrub.  In
> other words the gui is not working, but you can verify the kernel is booting
> properly with using sudo xl console VMNAME in dom0.   Marek says you have to
> compile the u2mfn module and make sure its installed.  But I have no idea how
> to do this.

Ah, I see!

OK, I think I may know what *might* have happened.

I think the make script did try to do what it said in the instructions
here when it started to install the generated deb packages:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/

but I remember it throwing an error somewhere along the line saying it
couldn't find the kernel header files. But *that* was because it was
installing the kernel header file deb package afterwards; or in other
words, the gresecurity kernel header package wasn't installed yet at
that point in time. So maybe a step was missed.

That said, I now have a properly booting debian 8 template with a
gresecurity kernel. What you need to do is this:

After you follow the github instructions but before you reboot, run:

sudo dkms autoinstall -k 4.8.12-coldkernel-grsec-1
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo update-grub2

which is essentially the final part of the "Installing kernel in Debian
VM" instructions. And then the machine should boot up fine when you
switch to the pvgrub2 kernel. Or, at least it did for me.

Thanks for the hint!!