On 2017-01-06 17:37, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:04:08PM +0000, 5vo30m+lpi66xm176ugr7ruk via
> qubes-users wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>
>> First off happy new year! :)
>
>> To get into the subject, I'm trying to get as many Qubes users around me as
>> possible to convert my family and friends from Windowsism to Qubism. However
>> in some cases I see that the Intel®™ (backdoor℠ inside®) hardware that they
>> have does not support VT-x and VT-d.
>
>> So I would like to better understand the implications of this. From the User
>> FAQ:
>
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#can-i-install-qubes-on-a-system-without-vt-x
>
>> I understand that this means that:
>
>> o Not being able to use fully virtualized VMs (e.g., Windows-based qubes)
>
>> o No security benefit in having a separate NetVM
>
>> But the points I wont to understand are:
>
>> ~ Does this mean that one wont be able to install Windows in a VM in such
>> system (that's it?)?
> Yes.
>
>> What does fully virtualized VM really mean?
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/glossary/#hvm
>
> In short: a VM running OS not necessary modified to be running in a VM.
>
>> ~ How is this relevant practically speaking? In other words, could an
>> attacker deploy malware to NetVM (from an AppVM that is connected to the
>> NetVM)? If not, in which situations can attacker get to the NetVM and
>> therefore to dom0?
>
> The way you've descried, or using some remote attack directly on NetVM -
> because NetVM is what is facing external network directly.

Another, additional way of answering this question:

"On a system without VT-d, everything should work in the same way,
except there will be no real security benefit to having a separate
NetVM, as an attacker could always use a simple DMA attack to go from
the NetVM to Dom0."

Then read this:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#what-is-a-dma-attack

Basically, read the next two FAQ entries after the one you linked. :)

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org